Pages

12 November 2010

Sovereignty

I find the sovereignty of God a warm blanket. That God is all powerful and eternally sovereign and all good at the same time is comforting to me. Recently Rebekah and I had a big decision before us. It was not a decision between a bad thing and a good thing but between two good things. However this decision was not solely dependent on us just choosing, there were other factors that went a long way towards determining what we would do. The outcome was disappointing and we felt a little bit of a letdown but just before all of this happened I was listening to a podcast of Wayne Grudem’s Systematic Theology. He was talking about God’s purposes and his sovereignty and he used as an example his trip to England and how they had a schedule and there were pretty tight on keeping up with it. He said that they seemed to just catch the last train right before it rolled out, or they arrived just minutes before they needed to at the restaurant to meet friends for dinner. His point was all of these little details fall under the jurisdiction of God’s sovereign purposes. He also coupled that with the great truth for believers that everything that happens is his grace. So even though Rebekah and I were disappointed by this situation we found ourselves in, we can rest in God’s purposes, knowing that he is working out his plan. This really frees us up to be obedient and not anxious about our lives as if they were totally dependent on us. I can avoid anxiety knowing that God is in complete control and never acts apart from his goodness. I can be thankful and praise him even in disappointment. He is still God even when I don’t get what I want and that is why I praise him, because of who he is, not what he gives me. I pray that you would find rest in and trust the all-good, sovereign creator of the universe to work out the details of your life and there find peace.

No comments: