Pages

28 July 2010

Community

This week in Home Group we start tell out stories. Most of the Bible was written in narrative. God chose to reveal himself through the stories of his called people. Jesus told his disciples that if they wanted to see the Father they need only look to him. So we also, if we would see the Father, his character, his commandments, his power and purpose, we need only look at Jesus. And where is Jesus seen more clearly than in the 4 narrative books that open the New Testament.

So there is something about stories that are revelatory. That I married my wife on October 18th, 2008 is a fact. You can check that in some marriage record database and verify it, I'm sure. But that fact alone doesn't give you any clue as to how beautiful my bride was, or how nervous and excited I was reciting my vows. Those details of the story of my wedding are the things that let you in, give you a glimpse into who my wife and I are.

"Why would we want people to know our stories?" you may ask. "What difference does it make where I grew up, or what my dad was like?" Or some of you may think you story isn't very exciting or dramatic or wouldn't be useful for anyone else to know. The reality is, God gave you the story you have, not for your glory, or so that you could feel important, but so that Jesus would be made much of. Your story is meant to be shared to the glory of the author. And you don't have to worry about how it will impact anyone, he will work that part out. Our stories not only reveal us to the world, they also reveal Jesus to the world. Our lives, in a way, are just a continuation of the scriptures. This is why in home group we will be telling out stories, for the glory of the author.

No comments: